Healthcare providers and clinic managers have three common myths about EMR user monitoring auditing.
Myth #1 – The electronic medical record EMR automatically does all the auditing – I don’t have to do anything
Myth #2 – I don’t have to audit my users – I know them
Myth #3 – I won’t have to worry about this until I have a breach
Rob Pruter, the User Monitoring Expert at SPHER is my guest on this episode of Practice Management Nuggets For Your Healthcare Practice!
He’s going to share with us how to protect your practice and your patients when you use Artificial Intelligence (AI) technology that can recognize unusual activities and generate a warning message.
Finally, an easy way to perform user monitoring and quickly recognize risks from external bad actors and employee snooping incidents!
Rob Pruter's #1 Tip to Healthcare Providers, Clinic Managers, and Privacy Officers
- Patients trust their healthcare providers – not just about their medical information, but personally identifying information, too.
- Identity and access management is critical! Everyone needs a unique user ID.
- Increasingly important given the trend to remote access and browser based EMR access. Don't be complacent just because you can't see the users.
- Artificial Intelligence (AI ) technology can quickly recognize unusual activities and generate a timely warning message so that you can react appropriately.
- You don’t know when someone’s credentials have been compromised. People’s personal circumstances change. You need to demonstrate reasonable safeguards including user monitoring.
- Designate a person (privacy officer, compliance officer) in the organization responsible to ensure regular review of users’ behaviour. This has a significant impact on decreasing the likelihood of being impacted by a privacy and security breach.
Featured Guest: Rob Pruter
Rob is the Chief Revenue Officer at SPHER, Inc.
He is responsible for all global sales, marketing, and partner revenue at SPHER, Inc.
For the past 20 years, he has successfully built marketing programs and partner alliances in the healthcare IT space with larger companies and innovative start-ups.
He has a passion for protecting patient privacy and cybersecurity for the healthcare industry.
And he is my new best friend with a passion to improve audit log monitoring!
Be sure to tune in to my interview with Rob Pruter