October is Cyber Security Awareness Month! Information Managers is celebrating by hosting our annual 15 Day Privacy Challenge. The 15 Day Privacy Challenge is a fun, no cost educational opportunity on privacy and security.
Privacy Challenge #9 Right to Access Your Own Personal Information
Our right to the privacy of our personal information is very important.
In our organizations, when we collect personal information from our employees and clients, they have the right to access this information from us. They may want to do this to ensure the information is correct, complete, and has been used only for the purpose to which they agreed.
A privacy charter is a useful document that communicates your position on the collection, disclosure, and use of private information. It informs your clients of their rights and explains your commitment to keeping their information safe.
Here is a sample privacy charter that you can modify for your use:
- To help you, we need to ask you for your personal information.
- We will ask you before we share your information.
- It is our job to keep your personal information safe.
- We will tell you why we need to collect your personal information, before the information is collected.
- Only with your agreement will we collect, use, and share personal information about you. You may change your mind at any time.
- We will only ask you for the personal information that is needed to help you.
- We will use your personal information only for purposes to which you agreed.
- If you have any questions, speak to our Privacy Officer.
- Used with permission from NWC FASD Network
Can a patient have a copy of their own health record?
Patient Access to Health Records
Under most privacy legislation, including Alberta’s Health Information Act, a patient has the right to access their own records about themselves. The information that a patient provides to the healthcare provider belongs to the patient. The healthcare provider is responsible to maintain the information on paper or in a computer and ‘owns’ the documents.
Do you want to enjoy the benefits of the internet without the fear of cyber attacks and privacy breaches?
Join us for the Free 15 Day Privacy Challenge for more tips, tools, and templates that you can use right away!
We are proud to be a Champion of National Cyber Security Awareness Month #CyberAware #15DayPrivacyChallenge