October is Cyber Security Awareness Month! Information Managers is celebrating by hosting our annual 15 Day Privacy Challenge. The 15 Day Privacy Challenge is a fun, no cost educational opportunity on privacy and security.
Privacy Challenge #11 Employee Orientation and Privacy Awareness Training
80% of all privacy breaches are internal to the organization.
Most of these breaches are the result of error or mistakes by employees.
Businesses and healthcare providers are legally responsible to ensure that every employee, contractor, and vendor receives privacy and security training, including cyber awareness. This includes healthcare providers and professional staff as well as volunteers.
Privacy awareness training is the cornerstone of every privacy and security program. Prevent malicious errors, omissions or attacks that could result in fines and even jail time for the business, healthcare provider, employee, or vendor by being up to date on privacy and security best practices.
Employers and healthcare providers must be able to document that training is provided to the employee and that the employee understood the key concepts of the content provided in the training.
A formal employee orientation process will help a new employee to succeed by:
- Reduce the anxiety of the new recruit.
- Introduce the organization's mission and work.
- Explain the organization's culture, including the values, behaviours, formal and informal practices, etc. including expectations of privacy and security of personal information. Set clear expectations of employee’s job performance and day-to-day activities.
- Introduce new employee to colleagues, including managers or supervisors.
- Create mentors and job ‘buddies' to help ease the new employee into the organization's culture.
Privacy awareness training is an essential part of your employee orientation program.
Do you want to enjoy the benefits of the internet without the fear of cyber attacks and privacy breaches?
Join us for the Free 15 Day Privacy Challenge for more tips, tools, and templates that you can use right away!
We are proud to be a Champion of National Cyber Security Awareness Month #CyberAware #15DayPrivacyChallenge