Release Of Information In Your Healthcare Practice
Individuals have the right to access information about themselves and to request that their information be shared to others. We have a duty to assist individuals when they make these requests. Custodians have an obligation to receive and process these release of information requests promptly, consistently and correctly.
How we respond to patients request about their personal information is a key opportunity to further develop a relationship with our patients and their family.
Access and disclosure processes are regulated requirements that we must understand and follow.
Release of Information Workshop
In this 45-minute workshop, we will review:
- Health privacy legislation as it relates to consent to collect personal information
- Procedures for access and disclosure requests
- Release of Information models, including centralized and decentralized models
- Release of Information tools, including disclosure logs and EMR indexing
- What is valid consent?
- What are disclosure notations?
We will also go over common Release of Information scenarios that you will likely encounter in your healthcare practice, including:
- Patient requests a copy of their own information
- Parent requests a copy of their young child’s information
- Patient requests a copy of their information to be sent to another physician / healthcare provider
- Patient requests a copy of their information to be sent to someone else
Join us on Thursday, July 22
12:00pm Noon Mountain
Release of Information For Your Healthcare Practice
Register for Your FREE LIVE* Workshop
*Even if you can't attend live, register now to get access to the limited time replay and resources!
- Understand the difference between access and disclosure requests
- Describe the difference between access and disclosure requests
- Explain the routine steps to process an access request
- Explain the routine steps to process a disclosure request
This Workshop Includes:
- Live on-line training
- Q&A with Jean Eaton, Your Practical Privacy Coach when you join the webinar live
- Access to the replay for a limited time
- Learning Resources Guide
What's in the Learning Resources Guide?
- Collection notices
- Access request / consent
- Authorization to request information from another physician
- Access checklist
- Disclosure checklist
Who Should Attend?
If you collect health information from your patients you need consistent, efficient, procedures to provide patients access to their own information and disclose it to other people with the patients’ consent.
If you are a release of information clerk, medical office assistant, receptionist, clinic manager, or privacy officer in a community based healthcare practices – medical, dental, pharmacy, optician, chiropractic, physiotherapy, counselling – then you should register for this free live workshop!
When we know better, we can do better…
Jean Eaton is constructively obsessive about privacy, confidentiality, and security especially when it comes to the handling of personal health information. If you would like to discuss how I can help your practice, just send me an email. I am here to help you.
Jean L. Eaton
Your Practical Privacy Coach