Practical Privacy Officer Strategies
Most privacy officers also have other roles – as a clinic manager, healthcare provider, computer network technician, or business owner – and are often overwhelmed when trying to balance these responsibilities each and every day.
But that’s not the end of the problem. It actually gets worse!
You could continue to –
- Panic when a patient asks for their information for access or correction.
- Scramble when new employees and healthcare providers join your clinic . . .and suddenly realize that you never got around to providing privacy and cybersecurity awareness training.
- Hope that your practice will not be tapped on the shoulder for a practice review by your college or the OIPC.
- Ignore privacy breach and hope no one else notices.
- Avoid difficult decisions with your owners / staff who insist on doing things their way – even when it is not privacy compliant.
- Never get ‘review privacy impact assessment’ and ‘review privacy policies and procedures’ off of your to-do list.
- Avoid discussing privacy and security with your EMR and computer networks managed service providers because you are unsure of what questions to ask and what types of answers you should receive.
Because you don’t have a written privacy management program and action plan, you are missing the systems to monitor routine tasks that will protect privacy and alert you to potential problems before they become privacy and security incidents.
Carrying out the duties of a Privacy Officer correctly is vital to ensure your organization is safe from the consequences of a big privacy breach.
Bottom Line: If you are spinning your wheels trying to figure out how to get started, it will cost you time, money, and frustration!
Which means you never get around to implementing a robust privacy management program.
If you are a privacy officer in a healthcare practice who needs practical privacy management strategies to protect your patients and your healthcare business but can’t figure out how to get started, here’s the solution you’ve been looking for.
Introducing “Practical Privacy Officer Strategies!”
More than 100 people attended this training with me. This program is designed for those who need to understand and manage a privacy and security program for your clinic in compliance with health privacy legislation in Canada (such as Alberta Health Information Act (HIA) or the Ontario Personal Health Information and Protection Act (PHIPA).
5 Training Modules
Module 1 – Privacy Management Program and the Role of a Privacy Officer – Tuesday, Sept 26, 2023
Module 2 – Privacy Awareness Program – Thursday, Sept 28, 2023
Module 3 – 4 Steps to Prevent Privacy Breach Pain – Privacy Breach Management Plan – Tuesday, Oct 3, 2023
Module 4 – PIA / Vendor Management / Contract Management – Thursday, Oct 5, 2023
Module 5 – Release of Information (ROI) Access and Disclosure Primer – Tuesday, Oct 12, 2023
Complete Course Just $250 + GST
Benefits of a privacy program
Privacy Officer roles and responsibilities
Privacy legislation framework
Privacy Management Program
The need for privacy awareness training
Policies and procedures checklist
Privacy awareness training strategies
Privacy officer roles in privacy awareness training
Privacy breach management policies and procedures
Sanctions policies and procedures
Steps to manage a privacy breach
Documenting a privacy breach
Mandatory privacy breach notification requirements under the HIA and PIPA
Practical Privacy Review
Privacy Impact Assessment
Information Management Agreement
Information Sharing Agreement
Become A Confident Privacy Officer!
- Identify privacy compliance issues for the business.
- Ensure privacy and security policies and procedures are developed and keep them up to date.
- Ensure that everyone working at your clinic and your vendors are aware of their privacy obligations.
- Monitor your clinic’s ongoing compliance with privacy legislation like the Health Information Act (HIA) in Alberta.
- Provide advice and interpretation of related legislation for the business.
- Respond to requests for access and corrections to personal information.
- Ensure the security and protection of personal information in the custody or control of the business.
- Act as the primary point of privacy and access contact for staff, patients, vendors, regulators and other stakeholders.
- If you are just starting your practice, this will help you ensure that you have implemented all the recommendations from your privacy impact assessment.
- If you have an established practice, this will help you to refresh the basics and plan your privacy compliance activities for the rest of the year.
- If you are new to the role of a privacy officer, this will help you to understand your responsibilities and give you tools to plan, monitor, and report your privacy activities.
Learn by Doing
5 Modules – New Format – Each module includes:
Pre-recorded core training in each of the 5 modules.
Live 1 hour coaching call with practical case study, discussion, and accountability in each of the 5 modules.
Replay of the live coaching webinar
On demand key word search of all videos
Powerful tools and templates for you to download
Mentoring on-line with Jean
Private discussion group (not Facebook!)
Access to the learning centre for 3 months
Also Includes Practical Privacy Officer Toolkit
Privacy officer journal
Privacy Officer Monitoring Workbook in MS Excel
Become a Confident Privacy Officer
Daily, weekly, monthly, and annual privacy tasks that make sense for your healthcare practice, that you understand, and that you can implement.
Promote a culture of privacy compliance.
Confidence in your role and responsibility as a privacy officer.
Gain confidence in your understanding of the Health Information Act and other privacy legislation.
Jean L. Eaton, BA Admin (Healthcare), CHIM, CC
Your Practical Privacy Coach
Jean is constructively obsessive about privacy, confidentiality, and security when it comes to the handling of personal information, particularly in primary health care settings.
Jean has customized and delivered privacy training programs for privacy officers, records management professionals, implementation teams, and healthcare providers across Canada and the US.
You will learn how to use practical pro-active privacy in your practice. Privacy Education program that is actually fun and . . . practical!
Jean has helped hundreds of physicians, chiropractors, pharmacists, and other healthcare providers and privacy officers develop and improve their Privacy Education programs.
Jean develops and provides training on personal information and health information privacy and security; customizes policies and procedures and Privacy Impact Assessments for hundreds of health care providers and primary care private clinics.
Comments from other course participants
“What I found valuable from this course: Everything! Jean is a wealth of knowledge and her explanation and examples sure helped me understand privacy.
It is great to see that I am on the right path for my direction as a privacy officer and just need to update my description and not redo all of my procedures. Thanks!”
~~Cheryl, Privacy Officer
“Jean was fantastic and explained things well.
I found the complexity of the training just right. I learnt more about access and privacy as it pertains to the healthcare field. And it validated some of my own experiences and practices.
This course was very useful – I wish I had known about it two years ago when I became a Privacy Officer. Thank you, Jean!”
~~Cliff Richard, Privacy Officer
What was the biggest benefit of completing this training?
- Learning how to start to develop a privacy training plan.
- Learning about privacy from an expert like Jean! Knowing that I will have wonderful resources to always fall back on.
- Privacy is not this big black box, it can be broken down into manageable chunks.
- I loved your resources and templates.
- Knowing what my next steps are.
- I learned the importance of a good excel spreadsheet! Loved having these resources!
- I have better tools to do a privacy breach investigation.
- All the wonderful templates and information that we could download. I’ll definitely be putting together a binder of information that will be used.
- Confidence – feeling like I had a plan, resources and a network for use.
- Using excel spreadsheets would be a good idea to keep track of everything. I will use the job description for the privacy officer.
- All the resources available for privacy officers.
Don’t Be Shy!
If we didn’t answer all of your questions, feel free to ask Jean anytime.
(12 noon MT)
- Tuesday, Sept 26, 2023
- Thursday, Sept 28, 2023
- Tuesday, Oct 3, 2023
- Thursday, Oct 5, 2023
- Thursday, Oct 12, 2023
What If I Miss A Live Training Date?
No problem. You will have access to the replay of the video and all the resources in the learning centre.
How I Can Ask A Question?
Ask Jean a question in the on-line discussion in the learning centre.
Is There A Guarantee?
My Personal 30 Day 100% Money Back Guarantee
I’m confident you are going to be delighted with the training and the powerful tools in this course.
But … I am biased. Why don’t YOU decide for yourself?
Get access to the course now and join the live training and as many of the modules as you like. If you are dissatisfied in any way, just contact me and ask me for your money back within 30 days of your purchase and you will get it. No hassles. You have NOTHING to lose.