Summer is often a time to ‘catch up’ on outstanding projects. It can also be a time to prepare for programs for the fall.
Summer students can help you with jobs like archiving patient records, taking inventory, or creating new patient information brochures or provide content for your website.
They can prepare for your fall flu clinic season and make sure that you have a project plan ready to implement.
STEP (Summer Temporary Employment Program) provides funding to eligible Alberta employers to hire high school and/or post-secondary students into summer jobs.
You can provide students with the opportunity to build meaningful work experience, increase their skills, and workplace insight.
[clickToTweet tweet=”STEP Summer Student employment program – enthusiastic employees at a fraction of the cost.” quote=”Use the STEP Summer Student employment program to find an enthusiastic employee at a fraction of the cost.”]
- It is a cost-effective solution for short-term hiring needs; employers get quality skills at affordable prices.
- It is an excellent way to evaluate potential employees.
- Students bring fresh, innovative ideas to your business.
- It is an investment that you make in attracting dedicated employees.
- There is an Alberta funding program available for employers of students. (Other provinces have similar programs.)
- Represent a large pool of available workers
- Enthusiastic and tech savvy
- Accustomed to multi-tasking
- At home with cultural diversity
Often, we learn more about what we do when we teach someone else. When you hire a STEP student, you mentor an enthusiastic student. You provide knowledge, experience and connections to further the career direction of a STEP student.
You can provide a positive difference in a young person’s career by setting an example of professionalism. You encourage the student to strive for and provide a focus on future career direction and advancement.
- 4-16 week wage subsidy program.
- Standardized wage subsidy of $7.00/hr maximum 37.5 hrs/week provided to approved applicants.
- Employers are encouraged to pay an appropriate wage and must pay at least the minimum wage ($15.00 / hr)
- Guidelines, webinars and other links to help you in this process.
Students must be at least 15 years of age. This could include a high school student or post-secondary (returning to high school or post-secondary no later than November 1).
Don't Miss These Dates
Deadline for employers to apply for STEP student is February 9, 2019.
Students hired in April 2019
Summer positions start May 1, 2019
You can recruit a student interested in healthcare career or with secretarial / administrative skills, marketing, social media, or business skills that supports your business.
Contact STEP today for application forms and more information.
STEP will make it easy for you to find a summer student to help you!