Sharing Your EMR in a Group Practice – an interview with Brandon Blanck & Rita Hielema of Microquest.
Recorded live on Thursday, April 24th
Our guests: Brandon Blanck is the Vice President and Fatima Haymour, Client Services Representative of Microquest. Microquest is today's leading practice management software.
Brandon and Fatima shared keys to sharing your EMR Database in a shared practice:
- The importance of having a clear understanding of how patient records in a shared EMR database are controlled.
- Know that the Information Manager Agreement between the software vendor and the named individual on the contract are the only individuals that the software vendor can receive instructions on how to manage the records in the database.
- As a group healthcare practice, have a clear understanding and supporting documents that sets out how patient records will be collected, used, and disclosed during the group practice and whenever the membership of the group practice changes.
- Take a pro-active privacy role and inform patients how their information will be protected during the routine practice operations and when healthcare providers are added – or leave – the practice.
- Decide how you are going to decide about the on-going operational changes to how the software will be used in your practice.
- Identify in the EMR software who is the primary (or default) healthcare provider for each patient. Talk with your software vendor how best to record this.
- It's never too late to start! If you missed creating an Information Management Agreement or Data Sharing Agreement in your group practice, do it now! See the resources for samples that you can use.
You will also hear some stories from Brandon and Fatima about scenarios they have encountered in group practices – the good, the bad, and the ugly of a shared database when a physician leaves.
Learning Resource Guide Sharing Your EMR
Document Management Tip Data Sharing Agreement Healthcare Providers
Infographic – IMA Patient Records
Replay Audio Only
Replay Audio and Slides