October is Cyber Security Awareness Month! Information Managers is celebrating by hosting our annual 15 Day Privacy Challenge. The 15 Day Privacy Challenge is a fun, no cost educational opportunity on privacy and security.
Privacy Challenge #8 Privacy Officer Education
If your business involves the collection, use, and disclosure of your clients' personal information, a privacy officer is necessary in order to meet legislated requirements.
So, what does a Privacy Officer do?
- Identifies privacy compliance issues for the business.
- Ensures privacy and security policies and procedures are developed and maintained.
- Ensures employees and contractors are aware of their responsibilities and duties.
- Provides advice and interpretation of related legislation for the business.
- Responds to requests for access and corrections to personal information.
- Ensures the security and protection of personal information in the custody or control of the business.
- Represents the business in dealings with third parties and the Office of the Information and Privacy Commissioner.
It's a challenging, yet rewarding, role. And there are many ways that a privacy officer can learn the skills necessary for the job. See the Privacy and Access Council of Canada for professional development resources.
Here's a Document Management Tip: Sample Job Description for Privacy Officer that you can download right away.
Do you want to enjoy the benefits of the internet without the fear of cyber attacks and privacy breaches?
Join us for the Free 15 Day Privacy Challenge for more tips, tools, and templates that you can use right away!
We are proud to be a Champion of National Cyber Security Awareness Month #CyberAware #15DayPrivacyChallenge